We need a quiet space where we can relax, a place to forget about stress and worry, especially if we live in a city, withstanding noise and pollution. The home is a haven to regain balance, to express one’s own personality without hindrance and to enjoy in depth.
The key is in the senses: you must stay alert, cultivate sight, smell, touch, taste and hearing to surround yourself with a positive environment. We must stop at the subtle effect that produces us in the depths of everything we see, touch, hear, beyond aesthetics and fashions. Any change that is introduced in the home has an inner meaning: getting rid of a particular object can mean overcoming an emotional lock, and putting order in a room expresses the clarity of ideas with which one wants to direct one’s life.
The millenary art of Feng Shui, based on the experiences of many generations, offers very interesting suggestions in this sense. On the other hand, health care also plays a role in the design of the home, as well as respect for the environment.
After crossing the threshold, the first space synthesizes the spirit that reigns in the house. The one who lives in it immediately offers the feeling of security and intimacy of the home. The visitors receive the first impression and the most lasting impression: if it is positive, it transmits the desire to open itself to others, to new experiences and opportunities.
1. A good idea is to have a shoemaker, not only to order the shoes and to avoid being scattered all over the house, but to offer shoes to the visitors. It is not a very common custom among us, but it is common in the Nordic countries: it is comfortable, hygienic and reinforces the idea that the home is a special place.
2. Light in abundance is necessary throughout the house, but this aspect is often neglected in the reception. A grim entrance like a cave makes you distrust, gives an unfriendly feeling and propitiates the stumbles. Therefore, if there is a window with shutter, it will always remain open.
3.A mirror is useful in a small receiver because it increases the sensation of space (a picture with perspectives produces the same effect). It also reflects the light and serves to take a last look before going out safely. According to Feng Shui, a mirror in the hall intensifies the flow of vital energy (chi) and helps it to be distributed throughout the house.
4. Feng Shui also recommends placing a cell phone in the foyer to moderate the flow of energy. Their sounds will be a sign of identity of the house.
It is the room dedicated to activity and communication. It expresses more than any other space the own personality and the way of being in the world. The way it is enhanced, the style, depends on the creativity of each one.
5. from the sofa should be seen the door so that the people who are seated feel safe and comfortable. It is convenient that what is seen from each seat is pleasant and that in no place has the feeling of being isolated, for it is recommended that the seats form a circle around a small table.
6. A blunder is that the television is the reference point of the room, the altar that dominates the space. This arrangement, so frequent, facilitates in communication and that the device is always on. To avoid it, it is best to hide the TV inside a closet with doors and leave it in a secondary place. This decision can change the life of a family.
7. The natural textures and colors are more pleasing. The furniture can be of untreated solid wood or wicker, rather than of artificial fibers and filled with foams. Carpets should be made from natural fibers, such as wool, algae, coconut, sisal, jute or cotton. It is not advisable to varnish the parquet with conventional products, because they emit toxic gases (natural wood is treated with linseed oil and beeswax). As for colors, light shades of green, yellow or ocher, for example, facilitate good lighting and relaxation, but the striking touches are appropriate in a space also dedicated to the activity.
8. The cushions made with natural materials and suffered, not delicate, create a casual and comfortable atmosphere. It would not hurt to have a Zen cushion, the most suitable to sit in the lotus posture and meditate. But do not pass: if the seats are filled with cushions they seem to be busy and if they are saying “look at me and do not touch me” do not invite them to take a seat.
9. Four or five floors are indispensable. They are beautiful and remove from the air toxic gases, such as formaldehyde, xylene, benzene or nitrogen dioxide. Among the most decontaminating plants are bamboo, ribbons, spatula, palm, and ivy.
It is the room for the encounter with oneself, through the dreams, the reading or the meditation in solitude, and also for the intimate encounter. The bedroom is the room where you can give free rein to creativity and enjoyment. That is why the atmosphere has to be very personal and sensual: it is the right place to expose that picture or object that we would not dare to teach elsewhere.
10. Bedding is crucial to being comfortable: the cotton, the flannel in particular, is the most comfortable and healthy fabric. Plush, silk, satin and velvet are other suitable textures in the bedroom. In winter, the heavy blankets can be replaced by the light but warm duvets.
11. The colors indicated are the skin tones of all races: beige pearl and toasted, cacao cream, pink and reddish peach, subtle yellow, pale violet and reddish ocher. Also warm pastel tones as well as stronger tones such as coral, chocolate, cream, terracotta, vermilion, raspberry, eggplant, burgundy, copper, gold and bronze. On the other hand, it is necessary to avoid that predominant colors less sensual and warm, like white, gray, black, blue and greyish greens.
12. The position of the bed influences the possibility of deep rest. You feel instinctively safer if you can see the door from the bed. As for the orientation, the head should be to the north to be placed in harmony with the electromagnetic field of the Earth. Kids Bedroom
Children are especially sensitive to the influence of the environment. Given that they tend to hyperactive behavior, it is usually created in the children’s room a too tense environment that does not allow them to relax.
13. Simplicity and order must reign in this space. The child will learn to set priorities if he is surrounded by an environment where the essential is present and the accessory does not matter. Toys that incite the action should be stored out of sight in drawers or trunks.
14. Due to the sensitivity of children, it is the place where it is most necessary to be rigorous with the products and materials used: ecological paints (without lead or toxic solvents), untreated wooden furniture and toys, natural flooring and carpets…
15. It is generally considered that the basic colors are childish, however the most convenient are the serene colors: pastel, lavender, peach and cream. The decoration is completed with the works and ideas of the child, who needs to express himself and create an identity (if two children live in a room, each one must have its own space).
The place reserved for work must encourage activity and creativity. On the other hand, more and more people want a space to dedicate themselves to their personal interests and make it a kind of sanctuary.
16. The chair is the vital piece: it must be ergonomic, that is, adapted to the needs of the body. Above all, it should provide lumbar support and adjustable height. Many people opt for those that can balance slightly to allow some freedom of movement. Others prefer inclined seat with knee support.
17. In the studies there are usually many devices that emit pollutant emissions: computer, fax, photocopiers, and printers … Emissions can be chemical or electromagnetic. The latter can be reduced away from the apparatus. The chemicals can be combated with good ventilation and placing three or four plants, which as we have said have the power to absorb pollutants.
18. A study does not have to be an aseptic place. On the contrary, it can shine with its own personality. For example, you can place travel memories that have been changed or enriched in some way, objects that for any reason we attribute special intimate meaning or appreciated collections. These objects inspire to be more creative.
The main source of health in a house is the kitchen, there food is prepared that nourish the body and mind. The kitchen exerts an attraction on the people who live in the house: it is easy to meet there in an endearing atmosphere.
19. The utensils and utensils made of steel, ceramics, cast iron and glass are healthier than plastic and aluminum, light materials but which give off substances that can be harmful.
20. If there is a minimum of light, aromatic plants cannot be missing. The shreds with basil, rosemary, mint, sage, chives, parsley, thyme, dill, and fennel … embellish, are a fresh seasoning and keep insects away.
The space dedicated to the care of the body gains in importance every day. It began as a small, cornered place to meet unavoidable needs and has become a temple of well-being, an ideal place to get rid of stress.
21. In the bathroom the water and metal element predominates. Feng shui recommends balancing this domain by reinforcing the elements earth, fire and wood. Suitable colors are yellow, ocher, blue and green. Some objects will enhance the desired elements and create a warm atmosphere: plants and flowers, large candles, clay and wood objects.
22. A lot of water is often wasted. One way to save water is to install controlled discharge tanks (if you have an old model you can reduce the discharge water by placing two or three full bottles inside) and saving shower telephones (increase water pressure and reduce the amount Which comes out).
In many houses the dining room is practically ignored or the less time is spent in it. Television and sofas exert a powerful attraction. However, considering the dining room as a valuable space means giving the right importance to food, because it takes time and a relaxed attitude. Being comfortable in the dining room is a good help to get all the benefit of food.
23. The characteristics of the furniture must attract us towards them, provide us security. Feng shui recommends tables without aggressive edges that provoke a defensive attitude: circular, oval or rounded corners are the most suitable tables. The same can be said of chairs, which do not have sharp edges or corners at right angles.
24. Creating a pleasant atmosphere is the other secret so that attention can be focused on conversation and on food, which must be tasted without haste. Distractions such as television, intense lights or flashy objects should be eliminated. Lamps with display, indirect light and candles provide adequate light. The pictures and decorative objects should not suggest anything unpleasant or disturbing, but open the appetite: simple still life’s, flowers, landscapes, marinas … The dining room is not a good place for mirrors.
The balcony or terrace, however small, are open-air spaces within reach at any time. You go to take oxygen, or to escape a sudden feeling of claustrophobia, then you should not find them deserted or full of junk. Better be full of life.
25. Even on a small balcony, even on a terrace, it is possible to grow some garden vegetables or have some fruit trees.